Thursday, September 8, 2011

My First Blog

I was thinking on what topic for my first blog. Well, I guess I just have to explain why I used Without Wax as my blog address.

I encountered the phrase "without wax" from Dan Brown's book Digital Fortress. One of the protagonist in the story - David Becker is always signing his letter to his fiancee - Susan Fletcher  with the phrase "Without Wax". Susan didn't know the meaning of the phrase (although as described in the book - she is a genius).

I got fascinated on the meaning of it. As I read on, the last chapter explains the meaning of "Without Wax". It originated in ancient time during the Renaissance era. Spanish sculptors who made mistakes while carving expensive materials often patched their flaws with wax or cera in Spanish. They said that a statue without any flaws or mistake can be called sculpture sin cera or a sculpture without wax. The phrase eventually came to mean honesty or truth - so David was simply signing his letters "Sincerely" to Susan.

So there you go - without wax means honesty, true and sincere. That will be my basis in writing my blogs - I will be honest, true, factual and sincere in what ever topics, opinions and views that I write here.

Watch out for my next blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment